I had this idea last night...I can let users subscribe to feeds without leaving the mail client.
I added all the feeds as messages in the [feeds] folder, and the subscription is controlled by the status of the message. See the screen shot to the right.
- The inbox is a collection of all your subscribed feeds
- Read/Unread status is preserved across folders (inbox/feed)
- Browse all available feeds in the [feeds] folder
- Add remove/feeds by setting the unread status on the message
- A Perl SMTP server handles incoming messages and processes commands
- Emails sent are not relayed
- Emails are stored in the db for future review, so suggestions and bug reports can be filed easily
- Commands can be handled, but none are added yet.
I may change the feed subscription model to a two folder system. A subscribed folder and an unsubscribed folder. You would move the message that represents a feed into the subscribed folder to add it to your reading list. This seems more intuitive than the way I implemented it. What do you think?